The media of the 21st Century trivializes the wisdom of God and glorifies the vanity of celebrities and demagogues. Do not underestimate the power of the media. Lessons on morality and acceptable human behavior are being taught every day in the media through TV, movies, music, news programs, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, sports, commercials and videos. The morality of Hollywood is perverse, pervasive and persuasive, which is something that should frighten everyone.
The following list is a compilation of 25 generally-accepted lies that are consistently taught by most modern media.
- If you are a married man, you are a buffoon, a compulsive liar, but probably both.
- Kids on TV do not need to study.
- Kids are usually wiser than parents.
- Any type of corporal punishment is child abuse.
- Taking the name of the Lord in vain is no more offensive than saying “lettuce.”
- Using profanity is how people know that you are really serious.
- The Sabbath is just another Saturday with football.
- The religion of men is football.
- To be attractive, women should be built like tall, skinny ten year-olds with breasts.
- The religion of women is Oprah.
- Social gatherings without alcohol never happen.
- Stay-at-home moms are wasting their intelligence and earning potential.
- Religion is for simple-minded bigots.
- Smoking pot every once in a while is normal.
- Pornography is harmless.
- Late night comedians explain everything we need to know about politics.
- If you don’t support gay marriage, you hate homosexuals.
- If you don’t blame humans for global warming, you are really stupid.
- Corporations are evil and jobs are created by ever more invasive government.
- Dating at age 10 is normal unless the kid is a real nerd.
- Dating for anyone over 18 means having sex.
- Having sex before marriage not a problem if you are over 16, use a condom and care for each other.
- The natural course of romance is; casual sex with someone you just met, regular (but not necessarily exclusive) sex for years, and then marriage, maybe.
- Marriage is great if you are in your 30’s and have had sex with a lot of people so that you can be sure that you have made the right choice for your spouse.
- Beating your dog is a vicious crime but killing your unborn child is just a choice.
If you are concerned that your children will believe any of these lies, you need to act.
As loving parents, we must:
- Teach our kids that just because it is on TV or in movies doesn’t mean that it is true.
- Speak up when corrupt philosophies are presented to our kids and refute them.
- Educate our kids about morality, its purpose and benefits.
- Counsel our children that there is a loving God, he will help us and his commandments are for our benefit.
- Show by example how to love the sinner but reject the sin.
- Discuss with our kids how the majority can be wrong, dead wrong.
Our children are precious to us, as parents. We want them to have values and behavior that will help them be successful in life. We cannot risk allowing those in the media who do not share the values that have shaped civilization to teach our children concepts that are corrupting and harmful. We must be proactive in teaching our kids how to find enduring fulfillment and happiness.
Everyone should realize that there is evil in the world and there are powerful people who want us to accept evil. We must fight for truth and goodness.